Thursday, May 03, 2007

My naughty toddler!

I dont know if Karan has started his terrible twos yet, but he sure has become quite naughty these days. Yesterday when we got home, he ran straight to the bathroom. I unfortunately had to put down a few bags of groceries befor running behind him. By the time I made it to the bathroom, he was standing there armed with a hose (are they called bidets?) with the tap turned up to full force and he pelted me with water. I was completely drenched in like 5 seconds and he had a completely thrilled-pleased-with-himself grin ! The water one wasn't too bad cos atleast its summer and anyone could use a hosing down anytime of the day in Chennai....but he has lately been throwing food, driving over his toys with his cycle (with very much the intention of breaking them - luckily most of his toys are sturdy), and screaming at night for no real reason at all (and I know as his mother that its not cos he had a nightmare or cos he's in pain - its just 'i'm mad that i had to wake up" or "you nasty woman you're not letting me lie on your stomach" or the "milk isn't the right temperature or something like that..)

And boy! he is soooo stubborn. any form of reprimand or preventing him from doing something he wants to do like 1. opening the tap of the drinking water (to collect water for him to play with or just for kicks - to see how the adults would react), 2. throwing around the neatly ironed pile of clothes 3. climbing up somewhere dangerously high - causes him to hit us immediately. I must really try out the time-outs now - atleast for the hitting other people thing.

boys will be boys i'm sure, but sometimes i feel like tearing my hairs apart in frustration. the only good thing is that he is generally a cheerful fellow and you can if you try really really hard (and provided he's in the mood to listen) reaons with him - so even if he is angry and naughty one minute, he could be loving and give apologetic kisses the next! and he really does understand everything we say. yesterday, he woke up in the night and screamed and when robi went to comfort him he pushed him off saying "appa go, appa go". I started off on a long speech about how appa would feel bad and how he had caught a flight from Delhi in the evening just to travel home and be with K and me and how after all that K was asking him to go. I also told him that I think he should apologise to appa and give him a kiss. After listening to the whole speech, K turns around looks at his appa (whose back was by now turned the other way) and in his most loving voice says "appa, appa". Appa turns around and K moves towards him and cuddles up and then we did a "hug for 3", which is one of our trademark moves of ultimate family affection, and then K proceeded to lie down quietly and treat us to a quiet night of sleep without much further trouble.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rohini said...

I recommend time-outs. I also only do it for the hitting otherwise he would be sitting in the corner all day. I also find it gives me a time-out and prevents me from doing someting stupid like hitting him back...

Friday, May 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try a "social video" like "It's Fun to Be Nice" from Kidaddles. It's fun to see the kids light up when they see themselves on the TV and see themselves being nice and hearing how nice they can be.
You can get them at amazon.com, just use key word Kidaddles. Or you can order directly from Kidaddles.com. Good luck. I heard they get better around age 5!

Saturday, September 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home